Thursday

DIY Copper Pendant Lights

Copper and wood pendant lights with copper pipes attached to wall

Don't you just love when you can breathe new life into something?  I know I do.  Years ago, when my husband and I cleaned out his old house, we found some pendant lights from the house he grew up in.  They were so cool I wanted to revive them.  They've always been in the back of my mind, and over the years, I decided to add copper to make them really pop.  I finally got to the project, so today, I share with you my happy, creative moment.

Before


Retro 70's pendant light before copper pendant light makeover

There were two of these connected on one chain.  I loved the structure, the mid-century modern vibe, and the round wood element, but that chain and globe had to go.

DIY Copper Pendant Light Details


Lantern style copper light with copper cord

Although I had the creative vision here, this was a group project. I had lots of help turning these fixtures around.  I started by ordering a new light cord with copper details.  This one plugs into the wall.  My brother-in-law and uncle were the electrical geniuses who helped me take the light apart to insert the pendant.  I definitely recommend a professional, if you are electrically clueless like me -- nobody wants a house fire.

DIY copper pendant lights with supplies and how-to steps

After many trips to the hardware store, I purchased copper tubing, connectors, cutter, paint, eye hooks, glue, and rubber leg tips which protected the hardwood floors.  Then, my dad, mom and I started putting it together, and adjusting as we went.  We installed the copper pipe into the wall, and then fed the cord through the pipes to connect it to the light fixture.  Clearly, this is not a full tutorial, so if you have specific questions, please feel free to reach out in the comments or by email.  I would be happy to help you in any way that I can.

After
DIY copper pendant lights attached to corner of wall


I am absolutely thrilled with how it turned out, and so thankful for my family who helped me all along the way.

Lessons Learned from this DIY Copper Pendant Project:

1.  Teamwork makes the dream work.
2.  When something doesn't work out quite like you planned, pivot and come up with a new plan.

Happy Making!

Niki

Follow HomeMadeville Here:
     Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments: